Sunday, April 4, 2010

Groove Achieved or More Bass Player info.

So. In the song "Evil Clocks part1" there is a recurring section that lightens up the otherwise heavy-handed frenetic meanderings of the band. Guy Dagenais, the current bassist in Nathan Mahl (which I mentioned I was also in) gladly accepted my offer to play both a series of fretless solos and a steadying 5 string groove. He did. Wonderfully. In fact the song came alive and I decided to put down the vocal parts I had always been singing as a result (I often have vocal parts I sing along to tunes but generally they are silly and often dismissive and never meant to be heard). Ange was able to solo beautifully over those sections and the innate contrasts were made even more obvious.

Fast forward several months, where after much talk, Guy agrees to come out to our rehearsal spot (no longer in Carlton Place as that extra 20 miles from Ottawa seemed to be a deal breaker for many a bassist) and he Aaron and I went through some tunes. From note one it was obvious he was perfect; his time-feel was totally in the pocket and his ability to change a part to accommodate whatever is happening at the time invaluable. Much as we enjoyed the dedication, musicality and chops of the other lads, the abilty to improvise or alter a part to fit the dynamics of performance (where we might play a riff a bit differently or miss a cue) was sadly not in their repertoire. Finally we were approaching the idea Aaron and I had for a long-time; odd meter grooves but still pocket-oriented and able to twist and turn as performance and inspiration hits.

So, our new bassist was now onboard and I would like to take this moment to officially welcome Guy Dagenais to the band.

No comments: