Friday, April 16, 2010

The Evolution of a Song Part 4

Well here we are at the last of the D series and unlike the others I have posted, this song never went through such a tortuous series of recordings and re-records.
The only versions I have are the original demo and the final master. Along the way the song certainly evolved though. Originally there was to be a big percussion jam, but as I had mentioned in an earlier blog, Aaron's look of panic after hearing Ange, Claude and I whacking away on the various percussion rigs I set-up, put paid to that concept.

So. The song itself stayed pretty close to the original demo but after making the decision to excise the percussion section, the transition parts that are on the demo where similarly excised. The subsequent return to the main theme was eliminated as well. The demo doesn't actually have the percussion madness, but it has the transitions to and from. You can hear the difference between the two versions here.

We threw this version away and re-recorded it with Claude, Aaron and Ange live-off-the-floor in its final form with no intention of adding a percussion section. I added my guitar later that same night.

No comments: