Sunday, May 16, 2010

Something else again.

I have been having a blast configuring and re-configuring my pedalboard. In my last post I mentioned it would probably be something else again by the time we gig and while that is certainly still possible (likely even), it turns out I changed it drastically since the last post.

I had mentioned I wanted the EH ring modulator in the loop (literally) and with some tweaking and honest decision making was able to do that.
I dropped my Boss chorus, MXR compressor and Fairfield Circuitry distorion box out of the board and added the EH like I had wanted. The truth is, with the exception of one spot, I never actually used the chorus and the compressor anyway. I had liked the idea of switching between two effects loops and I remember reading the blurb the loop switcher maker wrote. In it he had said something like "imagine being able to instantly switch from a compressor and chorus as a clean sound to a distortion and delay for a lead sound". I liked that and as I had most of the effects I bought a chorus and compressor and I did just that. The truth is though I never liked the chorus sound, or rather, having used a Jazz Chorus for most of the '80s, have grown quite sick of the sound. Deciding to get rid of it all saved a few power cables and lots of real-estate.

Losing the distortion wasn't as easy, but truthfully, I prefer my Mesa Boogie for that kind of thing and I also have the Fulltone front-end which can yield me that sound before the buffers in the Radial ABY box so the Fairfield got the boot as well.

So. Now I have the EH ring modulator ("Frequency Analyzer") in loop 1 all by itself (which is convenient because I prefer to leave it on as it hasn't a led status light) and in loop 2 I have the EH phase, the Boss slicer and a Boss delay. I have also midi'd the slicer up to the Adrenalinn so now I can have both units in perfect sync via MTC. The Adrenalinn has its tempi pre-programmed per patch and now when I change patches via the FCB, the Adrenalinn and the Boss change tempo according to the song's pre-programmed BPM. I can also tap tempo on the Adrenalinn if I need (and of course the Boss follows).

What I also am finding is that the pedals are easier to acces when there are fewer of them. It was getting tricky there to get my big boots onto the right pedal, especially when we are ramming it out live. Now it is easier.

This certainly isn't big news (not that there's ever really much of that hereabouts) but lots of fun nevertheless. Here's a pic.


No comments: