Monday, May 10, 2010

More gear info.

Ok. Like I mentioned earlier we are now re-visiting the material with a sweaty-prog band attitude (ie a pretty scaled down trio of guitar, bass and drums). I also mentioned I had originally decided to eschew effects pedals this time out. Of course like a typical guitar player that idea has been changed. Typically I use no effects at all other than a channel switcher and maybe a wah/volume. Then of course I decide maybe a wee bit of delay would be handy here and there and over the course of several months I end up creating a huge rig of pedals and switchers. Then I get sick of it all and go back to square one.

Well I was at square one a few months ago and when Guy first joined our rehearsals were pretty gear-deprived affairs. Once the flood-gates opened to allow a few effects, then in typical fashion I am now lugging my pedal board and midi pedal controller around too. The rig:




So here is how it works. The guitar goes into a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, then to a wah/volume. From there it goes to a Radial switchbone A/B/Y box.

A-side continues on to a custom made effects loop switcher with two seperate loops (another A/B/Y configuration). A-loop has an MXR dynacomp, a Boss CH-1 chorus, a Boss SL-20 Slicer and finally a EH "Small Stone" phase. B-loop has a Fairfield circuitry "The Barbershop" overdrive and a Boss DD-3 delay. The looper pedal has a mute and a tuner out switch and for the tuner I use a Boss TU-2. The output goes to a Mesa-Boogie Maverick.

B-side goes to an Adrenalinn III controlled by the Behringer FCB-1010. The output goes to a Fender Hot Rod Delux amp.

The whole unit is on a Pedaltrain pro and uses a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 as well as an onboard power bar for the Adrenalinn and the Radial power supplies.

The system can go from full-on to bypass with the switch of one pedal and the ABY configuration allows me to keep the Mesa side mostly for overdriven sounds and the Fender side for clean. I might get another looper switch pedal for that side so I can bypass the Adrenalinn properly (unlike the other side, it doesn't have
true bypass) but seeing as how I mostly use that side for the Adrenalinn effects that isn't so problematic.

Unfortunately I ran out of room for my EH ring modulator and even tjough I seldom use it I do want it for one solo. In the meantime I am using the Adrenalinn for that.

So...that's the fullout version, knowing me, what I actually will use when we do finally get out will be likely be something else again.

No comments: