Friday, December 13, 2019

Yah baby.  2019 is drawing to a close and it can't come soon enough. This year I have been embroiled in various dramas with characters like The Cowardly Postman, The Vain Armchair Farmer, The Cinderella Narcissist and The Malevolent Troll. It has taken quite a toll. I could regale you with their antics as they are certainly noteworthy (if being disgusted by one's fellow man, can be called noteworthy) but if only for the sake of my mental health, I will take the high road and put them on permanent ignore. Instead, what I would like to do is offer a hearty round of thank-yous to the OTHER people in my life who have been simply amazing.

I will start with Andrew Burns and Alex Wickham (bass and drums respectively). They have been an absolute joy to make music with. There has never been a time when I play with the lads that I have ever felt less than totally comfortable. I play with some players who, although good, always need to be referenced and adjusted to as their time and grooves wobble along. That is never been the case with the lads; their pocket is deep and steady and I never need to re-calculate time, rather I can play whatever enters my mind with complete confidence and easy control. Given the fact that 90 per cent of our music is on odd meters, that is a stunning accomplishment. Not only are they immensely talented, they are both intelligent, kind and responsible men. After last night's Rebel Wheel rehearsal I drove home delighted that the band is kicking ass and totally on point, especially considering the chaos and general "running-amok" all the other facets in my life have taken. 

Lately I have been writing songs with Becky Abbot and that is another total delight. Becky is one of Canada's best vocalists and it is privilege and honour to be in the studio with her writing and recording songs for her next album. I haven't been so jazzed by a project in years. Like the lads, she is also smart and kind (qualities I admire greatly) and also happens to be drop-dead gorgeous. I don't think I have met many people who I am totally convinced will be STARS and house-hold names given the chance. I am working industriously to ensure that if the chance is given, the songs will be worth her time.

Sometime last year DeeDee Butters asked me to join Claude Marquis' band for some gigs that promoted his solo stuff. He is the main force behind The PepTides, for whom I used to play and Andrew, Alex, Becky and DeeDee still play. From that she and I went on to do a jazz duo act, a trio act and a kick-ass Aretha Franklin tribute. DeeDee is one the single best improvisors I have ever worked with and her stunning range and perfect singing pitch astound me time and time again. She kicks ass in ways few entertainers can and I consider myself lucky to be a part of her many projects.

As I mentioned, I used to be in The PepTides, and am still called upon to do any gigs the new replacement guitarist can't make. In effect I end up replacing the guitarist who replaced me.
Claude Marquis is the brains behind the band and his music is at once, poppy and other-wordly. Full of unexpected twists and turns, it never fails to astound and invite. His vision is unique and his vocal talents impeccable. Again, like all the others I have listed, he is smart and kind and talented. This of course leads me to Scottie Irving, the keyboard player for The PepTides, as well a Rebel Wheel alumnus. He is another brilliant musician and all around brilliant guy. I love talking with him and he is impossible to lose and always has the most esoteric and serendipitous information gracefully at his disposal. I thoroughly enjoyed doing gigs with the band, and the drive from Orillia to Hamilton, where Scottie and I, along with vocalist Dale Waterman, spent several hours in deep and meaningful conversation. Dale has perfect pitch and is one of the single best soul singers I have ever heard. He is brainy and decent and works super hard at his craft as well as taking a ton of responsibilities for the band.

The only other pepTide I have to mention is Olexandra Pruchnicky. She is the third female vocalist in the band and she and I wrote quite a lot together when I was in the band too. Many of the songs from Vinyl cafe were our co-writes and she is an esteemed writing partner. I am delighted to say I have re-kindled the magic we shared and am whipping up a few tunes for her perusal. Not only is her singing informed with an academic, almost acousmatic sensibility, she also has an amazingly sultry and breathy voice which I find so invitingly easy to write for. She is a sweetheart and a dedicated talented artist.

In the other Non-PepTide associations I have formed this year is a working relationship with ex-Blinker The Star drummer, Colin Wylie. In some ways we are soul-mates, having had many extremely similar experiences in the business, in studios, and with writing and producing our own music. We did a remarkable gig this year at the Ottawa Folk-Fest where we debuted his latest album in a four piece setting. We both love guitar, XTC, effects pedals and pop songs (although quite frankly I have very very few in my repertoire) and Colin is a gifted songwriter whose music is multi-layered and brilliantly done. I consider myself lucky to be involved with his project, and probably not surprising at this point in the blog, I am in total admiration of his brain power and innate goodness.


Alex, Andrew, Becky, DeeDee, Claude, Scottie, Dale, Oly, and Colin, have all been very, very bright points in my otherwise dark year and it is working with friends and artists like these, that keeps my faith in the whole life style together, especially important when the charades of the Ottawa Valley Viper's Den C-S-R chapter have derailed so much of my goodwill. Cheers



No comments: