Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Evolution of a Song part 3

I had mentioned Keegan Melville awhile back and his playing on D3. Click his name and you'll get to the post that details D3's bass evolution. Or, if you'd rather, just read on and I'll repost the links below. Before we get there though I'll explain how D3 evolved.

To begin with it was a guitar vamp I just played one day and liked. When Aaron first came down to audition, he and I jammed on it for awhile. It was obvious right from the beginning he would do nicely! The song then was a perfect one to include on the album, but I wanted it to be a little less crude than how we had originally jammed it so I added keyboards etc. This particular version is the first midi sketch of the song leaning towards that "glossier" direction.

The next version is Keegan playing over the demo I originally recorded of the tune. This is the version I gave to the band to learn.

When we were tracking it in March 2009, Aaron decided to swing it. Keegan was at at the session and we recorded this next version. As I had already explained earlier, one of the adats broke down and we lost all of Ange's solos as well as half of the drum tracking (I jerry-rigged a quick work-around but was unable to capture the band in its glorious confusion). We kept this but ended up re-recording it when Claude joined:

We tried a lot of different versions of the swing and we came pretty close with one that we did a day later, this time with just Aaron and I. I later went in and did a walking bass-line as an overdub.

Finally, here is the version that made it. It has a soprano solo from Ange, Claude on the bass and a deft snaky little electric piano solo from guest artist, the amazing Rick Barkhouse.

No comments: