Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Song 5 The Settling of Bones



The Settling of Bones

composer: David Campbell (music and words), Angie MacIvor (words)

Line-up:
David Campbell: guitars, bass, keyboards, percussion, vocals
Ange MacIvor: vocals


I wrote Settling of Bones in Toronto back in 1994 and it was originally part of a larger song set called "Urbanities".
I had the chorus lyrics written but never got around to the verses. I played the song to Ange and she decided to put some of her own words to it. The melody is a difficult one, full of leaps and large intervals but is also pretty lyrical and sweet.
I recorded all the bed tracks and a guitar lead of the melody which we eventually replace with Ange's voice.

The words:

I sit here alone.
I think of the time that's passed me by.
I know that the dreams I have aren't mine.

So much still unknown.
I wanted to make my mark on time,
now it seems like my well is running dry.

So easy when you're pointing the finger,
what you say now, always goes.
It's different when you have to contend with,
the choices you've made,
and the laws to be obeyed.
All that's left is (x3)
A settling of bones.

Ashamed ot be here.
Never have left things come to pass.
Nothing thats good will ever last.

So easy when you're pointing the finger,
what you say now, always goes.
It's different when you have to contend with,
the choices you've made,
and the laws to be obeyed.
All that's left is (x3)
A settling of bones.


Recorded at Fiction Music Productions June 16th 2009.

Gear used:

Percussion: Neumann KM-184 x 2 into presonus pres.

Electric Guitar: Howard Roberts Fusion into a Roger Linn Adrenalinn to a Millennia HV-3 preamp.

Acoustic 6 string : Taylor 314-CE into a TLM-103 and a Millennia Media HV-3 preamp.

Bass: Fender Jazz into a RME-hammerfall preamp.

Keyboards: Albino 3, M-Tron, Minimonsta.

Voices: Neumann U-87 into a Millennia Media Origin.

Recorded direct into Logic 8 via Millennia Media pres.

No comments: